On 10/4/07 6:15 PM, "Pat Farrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> opaqueice wrote:
>> Have you ever listened to a binaural recording over headphones?  You'll
>> find yourself looking over your shoulder for the person you heard
>> walking behind you.  The illusion is far, far beyond anything I've ever
>> heard with speakers.
>>
>> However there seem to be very few such recordings, for reasons I've
>> never understood.  Maybe it's because wearing headphones for an
>> extended period is annoying and uncomfortable...
>
> They are very interesting. They are rare because they sound great with
> headphones, but not so good elsewhere. In the olden days  of last
> century, most music was heard on car radios.
>
> The binaural recordings are not that hard to make, but you can't do the
> usual 'fix it in the mix' stuff, you have to have real musicians. Plus
> the record stores would have to carry two versions of each CD, and at
> least half the time, they'd sell the wrong one.

Here's a contradiction to the assertions that you need 'real' (OK, at least
'alive') musicians and that you can't 'fix it in the mix'!

http://zenph.com/sept25.html

(New digitally posthumously 're-performed' stereo recordings of Glenn
Gould's 1955 performance of the Goldberg Variations - optionally available
as a binaural recording from Gould's position at the keyboard!)