Alek,
alekz;235767 Wrote:
> There we go! ;-D
First of all thanks for taking my comments in good spirit. :-)

I agree jitter is measurable and might become audible.

There are different types of jitter. The jitter created by the
positioning of the pits on a CD (amongst other physical challenges)
could cause data errors if it is bad enough. But - with the help of
modern jitter-correcting software and read mechanisms - it _isn't_ bad
enough in normal operation.

Once this error-free data is in a memory chip (whether computer RAM or
a CD transport buffer) it is just "data" and the timing for
transmitting that data is provided by the on-board clock. This means
the positioning of the pits has been "stripped out" of the equation by
that point (provided, as discussed, there were no data errors caused).

Of course there could be data-borne jitter created by the ADC but that
would be present in the  recording regardless of the physical media.

The point is, cleaning a disc can only improve things if it eliminates
data errors - and they don't happen anyway in normal operation with
modern CD transports.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Sony DAS-703ES DAC -> Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system