cliveb;236299 Wrote:
> The most famous study of this was by Julian Dunn & Ian Dennis (Prism)
> and Doug Carson (DCA). They investigated apparent audible differences
> in numerically identical CDs. Their paper was called "The
> Numerically-Identical CD Mystery: A Study in Perception versus
> Measurement", but I'm afraid I don't have a URL for it. (If anyone
> wants a copy send me a PM).

http://www.prismsound.com/m_r_downloads/cdinvest.pdf

None of the results in that paper are even close to significant, as far
as I can see from a glance at it.  They look fully consistent with
random.  If any such differences exist they are extremely subtle.
Perhaps the clearest part is near the end, where they test the two
discs ranked farthest apart sith two "golden ears", each of whole
thought he could hear the difference.

Results:  4/10 and 3/10 correct.

--
opaqueice