Were this a straight SB v. TP comparison with nothing more added, then
it is no contest.  But I suspect the answer is going to be determined
by the degree of jitter control you can apply after the SB.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that with sufficient jitter
correction, the SB should be competitive with any other head source
(the TP's ability to pass 24/96 media notwithstanding).  This is coming
from the owner of a CEC deck.  Using the TP as a pure head end seems
quite unnecessary, even by audiophile standards.

If you have a system of sufficient caliber, then you know that the
analog end of things is just as critical as the DSP sections.  While
the TP is very good, I can't say it is quite the equal of some upper
tier DACs in that respect.  Like you, I have solid upstream gear.  So I
don't necessarily need everything the TP brings to the table.

At the end of the day, we're all listening to the modulation of a chain
of power supplies.

Still, for the guy walking into it with $2,000 and no other
pre-existing digital front end, the TP alone looks like money well
spent.

--
sgmlaw