Where does one begin . . .

Let me start by saying that the TP is a $2000 price point device, and
it should not be reasonably expected to contain the parts selection or
execution of a $3000-$5000 DAC.  It is performing much more functions
than the latter, and it is an understandable from a purchasing and
manufacturing standpoint that some compromises have to be made
somewhere.  This is not a no-cost-barred product.  I have no doubt that
the manufacturer may deride the use of some upper tier parts, but the
reality is that there is no way they could have employed them and kept
to price point.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

In addition, some of the more subtle differences in these matters are
not going to be noticeable on the vast majority of hobbyists systems.
Systems capable of detecting those very subtle differences will
typically have downstream components of very high caliber.  While this
is not always desirable, and I am not an adherent to the detail cult,
the very best systems are extremely revealing while still remaining
musical and relatively forgiving.  Someone comparing the TP to a Wadia
on a $2000 Rotel system is not going to hear the differences that a
Classe/Thiel pairing might reveal.  I am no fan of rows of Holcos,
Blackgates, and Hovlands for the sake of them.  Some of my very best
sounding equipment has 29 cent polyester interstage coupling caps
throughout.  It is the synergy of all the equipment together that
matters most.

But bear in mind that we are talking strictly about output stages here.
Not the DSP stages, and not anything else.

The TP's is, predictably, an op-amp design.  However, while there are
some very nice op-amp based designs out there, my ears have always
found them ultimately wanting against a discrete FET or tubed output
stage.  Tonal depth and smaller nuances in complex passages are usually
missing or thinned down with the former.  There is no need to name
names; JFET output stage DACs can be bought right now for under $1500.
And they do sound terrific, albeit with less resolution than a more
premium DAC might provide.  The old CAL Alphas of ten years ago had
similarly wonderful sounding output stages, but were limited in their
DSP execution (I think CAL overweighted the back end of their
products), so were not quite as resolving.  Most DACs and players have
effective bit resolution of under 10 bits once all deficiencies are
factored in.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of gear out there uses opamps,
including my present DAC.  I compromised on the output stage to get a
stronger DSP section, keep balance, and stay under $5000.  But where a
premium design like my Assemblage DAC 3.1 might use an OPA627, which is
a good sounding chip, the TP opted for the NE5534.  That's a tried and
true solution, but very middle of the road sounding.  Every one I have
ever heard has been unruly in the upper midrange and into the treble.
That the TP has capacitively coupled it (if my research is correct)
will help tame that edginess, but at the expense of some resolution.
Why did they use a 5534?  Cost. Implementing a OPA627 solution is
expensive, and involves additional capacitance headroom to accommodate
its current demands that most manufacturers would rather not spend on,
and I would never expect to find it in a $2000 all-in-one digital box.

The difference a better opamp implementation can make can be nothing
short of incredible.  Dropping OPA627s and doubling supply capacitance
turned a Marantz CD67se into a giant killer in some informal
experiments we did around here recently.  Absolutely amazing
transformation, noticeable even in a modest system.

While I have not gotten my hands on a schematic, the few internal
pictures of the TP chassis (plenty of wasted space in there - the
chassis could be reduced by half) I have seen do not indicate supplies
of the overall robustness I typically see (and hear) in more expensive
designs.  Is that bad?  No.  And the 5534 doesn't really need or will
necessarily benefit much from a big Nichicon sitting next to it.  And
again, I would never expect to see that sort of implementation at this
price point.

I am in the process of getting my hands on a TP for audition at some
point.  While my ears will be the final judge, I am fully expecting the
TP to sound reasonably dynamic, and somewhat musical, but slightly
restrained at the very bottom and rounded off in the upper midrange and
treble, and not with the same equal measure of tonal clarity and
fullness as a proper OPA627 implementation, and nothing near the lush
presentation of a tube or FET design.

The TP looks to be a super deal at $2000.  But I would never match its
output stages up against a higher end DAC.  I don't care what you do
with it, a 5534 is never going to better a well executed FET design.
Never.  Does that mean that the TP should sound worse?  Not
necessarily, as it is the complete package that always counts.  If the
TP's front end is strong enough to compensate for its downstream bits,
who knows.

--
sgmlaw