The issue of running unbalanced or balanced is very dependent on the
rig...

I was running unbalanced to my Krell KAV400xi with high-end Kimber
Select silver cables.

Changing from those very expensive cables to ordinary (very cheap)
balanced canare cables from Blue Jeans cables was such an improvement
that it just beats me what's going on.... It was just impossible not to
hear the improvement....

Probably, the KAV400xi hates to be run single-ended, which means:
I guess there's no definite answer to this, this all depends on the
rest of the rig and what works best in your situation == Use your ears,
I reckon....

Cheers

-H

--