NewBuyer;257077 Wrote:

> Still, with all types of gear so far, I have always noticed an
> improvement when using balanced connections, whether it be sources,
> preamps, or amps. My guess has always been, that in addition to the
> impedance balancing aspect, using balanced connections must kill any
> small ground loop activity that can otherwise impede some of the
> resolution in the music. However others would be able to make better
> speculation than I can here.

Actually you're quite right, ground loop isolation (cancellation,
really) is one important advantage of balanced connections that I
always forget to mention.

As far as impedance matching (of + and -) is concerned, that is an
inherent requirement of a balanced connection. In fact, they must be so
by definition, otherwise it could only be described more generally as a
"differential" connection. An unbalanced RCA connection has only one
signal path to speak of so the exact impedance is irrelevant.

So... aside from the ground loop issue will it sound better? That is a
function of the whole system and the answer could easily differ
depending on the choice of amp or cables. I was just saying that I
wouldn't make balanced connections an _absolute_ requirement.

Yes, Transporter is fully balanced internally. This is something to
look for in a balanced amp as it is really ideal to keep a balanced
path from start to finish if possible.

--
seanadams