haraldo;264047 Wrote:
> quote: it's intended to be part of a top-end Linn system
>
> This is really great....
> You buy an insanely expensive player, and it's so incredibly inflexible
> that you are forced to use it with the rest of the similarly priced Linn
> Klimax range
>
> This really provides nice choices to the consumers
>
> So how do you go about if Linn introduces a $35.000 DSP based room
> correction that may be added to the DS, you don't have a choice.
>
> With a transporter or another player with a sound architecture you have
> all the choices in the world.
>
> I am scared if a high-end niche player says jump, and many of us follow
> them and jump.
>
> I refer to what a high-end dealer in Norway told me:
> We sell a lot of high-end products with extremely flashy looks, you may
> do way better if you buy something cheaper but it won't look as good,
> that's why we're providing alternative casings to some of the cheaper
> products.
> We have customers that want something that sounds good but looks much
> better.
>
> That's not my words, but a high-end dealer words....
>
> I'm not missing any points. I'm just advising against blindly following
> the advice of reviewers and high-end "pushers".
>
> Paying $15000 for looks and $5000 for performance is fine, just don't
> expect it to provide high performance per bucks.
>
> Regards
>
> Harald N
Sadly you are still missing the point. Exactly which part of this don't
you get:

1) the DS is a source not a pre-amp/controller
2) It's intended to be used with a controller that has all the features
needed for digital RC if you wan't to use digital RC. My 8-year old Linn
5103 controller has a digital loop that can drive my TACT 2.2x - what's
the problem?
3) Value is perceived by the purchaser. Is a Ferrari worth the money -
no. Is a Rolex worth the money - no. If you bought either, would you
care if it was worth the money or not...NO! You didn't buy it for
value-for-money reasons. You bought it because you wanted it and could
afford it. Nothing else matters.

4) Linn is a niche top-end vendor - they aren't trying to force
anything on anyone in their market or any other market.

5) What Linn says or does will not affect directly anyone other than
the 0.001% of the market that buys their products.

6) WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? - and stop paying too much credence to dealers
(or manufacturers) - they are ONLY there to make money out of you.
Business is business.

6) There is no 6
Regards
Phil (feeling a small migraine starting to bloom)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables