I presume you've checked to ensure "replaygain" or "smartgain" are not
inadvertantly turned on, and that bit-rate limiting is turned off.

Are you using the same SPDIF cable when comparing your CD player vs.
SB3 into your Krell? Other than that, no idea where the problem lies.

I, too have ML speakers, and I'm quite happy with my SB2 into a
Benchmark DAC-1, and I'd say it gives me 99% of the fidelity vs. my
(now rarely used) CD player.

--
sleepysurf

main system:  sb2 (with elpac linear psu) > benchmark dac-1 > modwright
swl 9.0se > belles 350a reference > ml summits. blue jeans cables.
secondary sb3 systems in master br (russound r235ls amp driving
in-ceiling speakers) and game room (powered swan s200a speakers).