gharris999 wrote:

> I'll take the ability to enjoy the joie de vivre of a
> performance over the ability to identify where the 2nd oboe goes flat
> in the 3rd measure any day.

+1 !!!

I used to play guitar in a variety of bands and work as a Sound Engineer.

I *still* find it hard to be a "punter", i.e. go and enjoy a gig and
listen to the music not the sound.

I have a friend who is totally happy listening to the music not the
sound - he has an ipod with low bitrate mp3s, was completely happy
playing back through one of those crappy fm transmitters, and equally
listening to a cheap clock radio. He's listening to the music not the sound.

R.