pfarrell;291888 Wrote:

> OK, I'm missing something here.
>
> You remove the jumper on the speaker between the woofer and tweeter,
> bypassing the internal crossover in the speaker. Where is the
> "(passive)
> crossover"???

Inside the speaker case, naturally.

We're talking about speakers with two sets of binding posts.  Those
usually come with removable jumpers shorting the high/low posts.
Internally, there's typically a high pass filter between the tweeters
and the high posts, and a low pass filter between the woofer and the
woofer posts.  The only connection between the two sections comes from
the external jumpers.  So you can remove the external jumpers and
bi-amp in a way that's perfectly safe for the drivers.

seanadams;291892 Wrote:
> If the IS a passive crossover at all... otherwise it'll cook. If you're
> multi-amping then I don't think that's a given. Indeed, I'd prefer to
> ONLY use active (line level, low current) crossovers in that scenario.

It's early and I haven't had my coffee, but I'm not seeing at the
moment how there could NOT be a high-pass filter between the tweeter
binding posts and the tweeter in a bi-wireable speaker - is that
possible?  The only problem I can see is if the posts are internally
shorted (in which case the external jumpers would just be for show).
Then bi-amping might make the amplifier(s) unhappy, although the
drivers should still be fine.

In any case, anyone trying this should make certain to read the
documentation that came with their speakers and follow the
manufacturer's recommendation.

--
opaqueice