adamslim;314336 Wrote:
> Does using the Verona as master clock really make sense?  I would have
> thought that you would want the master clock in the DAC for best jitter
> elimination, in which case the Verona would be redundant in a 'direct'
> system.
>
> It makes sense to me if you are syncing many digital processors (and
> potentially DACs) in some professional environment, maybe, where you
> need a lot of synchronicity, as it were.  Like if you're using the
> upsampler (Purcell?)
>
> I thought the point of the Verona was to take a master clock in from
> the DAC, and then send it out again to lots of digital processors.
>
> Right, I seem to have confused myself...

The standard dCS set-up is to have the transport and DAC slaved to the
external master clock (and my system was actually set up by a dCS
manager). The more recent transports from dCS upsample red book to DSD,
so the Purcell is unnecessary unless you want a choice of upsampling
modes. I see from 'this thread'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39770) (to which I've
just contributed) that seanadams (Founder, Slim Devices) strongly
disapproves of the use of an external word clock in this situation (and
gives cogent reasons for doing so!), but what can I say? It sounds
great, and the improvement is easily audible.

--
Ciaran