I have a DAC working with my SB3: a California Audio Lab CL-15 CD
player, with PSDIF digital input into its 20 bit DAC.   I have another
DAC in my home theater room: a Linn Unidisk SC, and I think that the
sound quality is about the same (well, sometimes I feel the CAL is
better, sometimes not).  I have been enjoying the good sound and the
convenience brought by the SB3 until I got a Sony XA9000ES SACD/CD
player - originally for playing SACD discs, then I found it is also an
excellent CD player.  Soon I feel that the sound of the Sony is better
than my SB3+CAL DAC, not a big difference, but distinct enough that I
found I tend to listen to the Sony more and more, with old fashioned
take_out_disc_from_the_shelf_and_put_it_into_the_CD tray, when I got
serious in listening.  There is no digital input on the Sony, by the
way.

My system consists of Conrad Johnson CT5 and LP70S amplifiers, Dynaudio
C4 speakers.  I ripped CDs with iTunes on my iMac and stream the music
to my SB3 via an 11g wireless router.  I don't hear much difference
between the SB3+CAL DAC and the CAL CD player playing the original CD
disc.

My question is: will the Transporter deliver better sound with its
digital output into my CAL DAC?  Before I purchased the SB3, I got
confirmation from the Slim Device tech support that the digital output
of the SB3 and Transport are the same.  Want to double check here.

2nd question: assuming TP analog output is not good enough compared
with my Sony (well, I make this assumption because Stereophile put the
TP at A class and the Sony at A+ class, I maybe wrong, bear with me),
how do I improve by combining the TP/SB3 with a high quality DAC?
There are extensive discussions in this forum about using an external
word clock or a DAC with a clock output, and I agree with seanadams
that an external clock may generate more jitters.  So, the solution
seems to be 1) get a high quality DAC with clock output, and connect it
with the TP and put TP on slave (any suggestions on the brands?); 2) get
a high quality DAC with "re-clock" capability (I read somewhere that
Benchmark DAC-1 can do this.  Any suggestions?), and connect it with my
existing SB3 (or TP, if there is a difference in their digital output).

Dear Experts in this forum and Sean, any answers/comments to my
questions are much appreciated.

Vincent

--
vincentyan