GuyDebord;316806 Wrote:
> I just changed the settings in squeeze center to ALAC->WAV and I couldnt
> believe the difference, .

thank you very much for this posting. I made the same exciting sound
experience you describe with my recently purchased transporter, when I
played for the first time  AIFF files ripped from a CD (Saint-Saens,
Symphony #3 -"Organ") with iTunes. Surprisingly,  the  ALAC and FLAC
rips (using "Max" because performed on an iMac)) from the same CD
sounded poorer. This was very confusing and misleading  because it is
stated as a matter of fact, that lossless formats should not loose
sound quality.

According to your experience, I would guess now that the transporter
perform some on the fly conversion with FLAC files in the default
settings. Unfortunately I could not figure out, where to change the
settings you described. In the advanced settings for file conversion in
the 7.0.1. version of squeezecenter, there is no way to set any format
to WAV. There is only a choice between "Native" and "deactivated" for
most of the formats (I hopeI have used  the right vocabulary because I
am using a german localization of the server). Any additional hint
would be very much appriciated..

--
ilbravo