John Mellencamp’s 'Life, Death, Love and Freedom' has just been
released with a CD and DVD.  It's apparently the first ever release in
the ΧΟΔΕ (CODE) format developed by T Bone Burnett
and a team of engineers and purportedly "creates high-definition audio
files that are virtually indistinguishable from the original master
tapes. The resonance, warmth and presence that has been realized with
CODE is unprecedented in the digital era."

"The CODE version of Life, Death, Love and Freedom is a DVD that will
come packaged with a standard CD version of the album, available at all
retail outlets, at no additional cost to the consumer. The CODE disc is
playable on virtually all DVD machines including stand-alone players
and drives integrated into computer systems. The DVD’s content
can be copied into most computer music software including iTunes and
can, then, be downloaded onto personal music players such as the iPod.
The standard CD is included to answer all possible compatibility
questions."

I bought the album and had a look at the DVD.  The DVD contains 24/96
WAV files, AAC and MP3, as well as what looks like a regular DVD
(presumably without video signal) layout for DVD players.  As I'm in
ther process of planning a move my Transporter and ATC's have been
crated and I've had to downsample to listen on the SB3, so I was
wondering whether anyone here has bought the album and had a chance to
listen to the 24/96 tracks, and if so, would love to read their
impressions, especially if you've ripped and/or listened to the CD
version also.

--
egd

Internet forums: conclusive proof depth of gene pool is indeed variable,
monkeys can be taught to cut code, and world peace is utterly
unrealistic...

Integrating MusicIP with SqueezeCenter...'*here's how*'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter).