egd;321710 Wrote:
> On the face of it I'd agree with you, but I'm guessing what he meant was
> that if you make a high quality mp3 encoding from a well-produced,
> uncompressed 24/96 master then the mp3 is probably going to sound
> better than the average compressed crap CD out there today that has no
> dynamics, and under those circumstances I'd be inclined to agree with
> him.

That is a very valid point but that's really making quite a few
assumptions. Taken at face value, Burnett's statement is pure BS - a
lossy compressed file can NEVER sound as good as, let alone "better
than", the original uncompressed CD (or file). Lossless compression is
a whole other animal and losslessly compressed files do sound as good
as the original CD (or file) but not "better than" the original file.

All that being said, it doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of room
for improvement with the current state of most MP3 files, including
starting with a higher quality uncompressed original file. Upon further
inspection I would venture a guess that T Bone's miracle processing
system turns out to be little more than some type of equalization
process, just like SoundBlaster's miracle X-Fi 24bit crystallization
process. Some technical mumbo jumbo for applying a little equalization
to a compressed audio file.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2