itai;322442 Wrote:

> I lowered the digital volume to 85, and the poping stoped!

This further supports my initial diagnosis that the problem is an
electrical issue with the s/pdif receiver. Here's what is happening:

There are some jokes among audiophiles with respect to digital signals,
in that the slender "ones" have an easier time getting down the wire
than the fatter "zeroes". Sometimes the zeroes get stuck in the wire,
which is why you have to use large diameter cables. Ones can also be a
problem sometimes because they get wedged sideways, etc.

It's funny, but not far from the truth here. Seriously, the reason it
works in one case and not the other has to do with the s/pdif
electrical waveform of a one as compared to a zero. When you have more
ones in the signal, it creates kind of a stronger carrier signal for
the s/pdif receiver to lock on to.

So when you have a marginal connection that sometimes works and
sometimes doesn't, the population of ones versus zeroes is probably
what makes the difference.

When the volume control is being used, SB3 will take advantage of its
24-bit audio path to output the signal as accurately as possible, but
when the volume control is at maximum, there is nothing to put in those
additional bits because the 16 bit signal is being passed through
unchanged. In other words, at max volume the s/pdif interface will
transmit the following for each sample:

16 bits, could be ones or zeroes
8 bits always zero
8 bits ancillary data, could be ones or zeroes

but when the volume control is in use, you have

24 bits, could be ones or zeroes
8 bits ancillary data, could be ones or zeroes

The second signal has a higher distribution of ones. Electrically, a
one is represented as two level transitions (matching the signals
carrier frequency) wheres a zero has only one transition, corresponding
to half the carrier frequency. A receiver needs to figure out what the
carrier frequency is in order to decipher the data. A poorly
implemented receiver may have trouble receiving the signal if it has a
low distribution of "ones".

I am glossing over many details here - it would probably help to read
this excellent explanation of s/pdif:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

What I've described is a pretty obscure phenomenon but it really is the
best explanation.

Here's a question: does the DAC have any indicator LED to show when it
is receiving a valid s/pdif signal? If you pause the SB3 it will output
an s/pdif signal containing digital silence. I would expect this DAC to
lose lock completely on digital silence, but you'd only be able to tell
if it has an indicator.

> And is'nt it said that digital volume should'nt be used?, as opposed to
> analog volume?
> It degrades the signal, they say.

That's a totally separate issue having nothing to do with s/pdif. It
has been covered extensively in this forum.

--
seanadams