seanadams;324445 Wrote:
> Yes, the file (WAV, FLAC, whatever) contains in its headers the
> information that _normally_ Transporter would use to select which of
> its internal oscillators to use. This information is also indicated
> (passed through, you might say) in the s/pdif channel status bits.
>
> When word clock is enabled, Transporter plays at the word clock input
> frequency no matter what the source file indicates that the sample rate
> is supposed to be. However, the information from the source file is
> still passed through untouched to the s/pdif channel status bits.
>
> So to rephrase (I think) your question, the problem is how does the
> Pace-Car know what sample rate to send the Transporter if it has yet to
> receive those s/pdif channel status bits? Well, it can't know until it
> gets them. So if you're playing along at 44.1 and all of a sudden some
> 96KHz content comes along, what will happen is that you'll have to
> switch your internal clock source as soon as you see 96KHz in the
> channel status. At that point there would be some brief drop-out of the
> signal while the PLL on Transporter's side resycns. I forget how fast
> that is but I think it's pretty quick - 10ms or something. Add to that
> perhaps some time for the s/pdif receiver to resync, which usually
> takes a bit longer.
>
> I don't know how noticeable it might be. I've never had an external
> clock source on-hand that could change its output word clock depending
> on the s/pdif information. What I do know is that Transporter will have
> no problem changing clock rates quickly - the way the PLL works
> inherently creates a clean transition.
>
> One thing that is fun to try, if you have a function generator, is to
> feed that directly into the word clock input and then turn the knob to
> hear what it does. Between about 20KHz and 100Khz it should have no
> problem. Above or below that range it will break in obvious ways.

Okay, I think I understand.  My Pace-Car does not rely on the channel
status bits to decode the sample-rate because it must determine this
for an I2S input bus also.  This means that I must preselect the
word-clock output frequency probably with a switch or by changing the
cable to another connector.

Steve N.

--
audioengr