First of all there is a mistake above. Apple Lossless will quite happily
convert hi-res files such as 24/96, IF you use the encoder supplied with
iTunes.

However, the reverse engineered routines that are supplied with
programs such as dBpoweramp will not. This means such files need to be
in wave format, added to the iTunes library, and then converted, which
is a royal pain.

I have all my stuff in Apple Lossless (for the iPod) and in FLAC for
the Slim stuff. I keep them on separate drives, and so have (by
serendipity I must admit) created myself a backup strategy. I rip to
ALAC first, add to the iTunes library, and then convert with dBpoweramp
in batches to FLAC in my squeeze library.

There will not be any DRM in an ALAC file ripped or converted by
dBpoweramp, now or in the future.

--
bigfool1956

David Ayers