opaqueice;332306 Wrote:
> As long as we're talking about jitter at the clock that controls the DAC
> chip proper, it really is that simple.  You can read various white
> papers on the web about it, or just draw a picture and you'll see why
> it's true.  It's essentially because the timing variations multiply the
> signal in the time domain, giving those sidebands in frequency space.
>
> If instead we're talking about jitter at the S/PDIF input to some
> specific DAC, things get much more complex, because DACs have differing
> mechanism for alleviating the effects.  But at least the simpler ones
> tend leave the sidebands, somewhat attenuated - check any stereophile
> review of a DAC and you'll see them quite plainly.
>
> I think the Benchmark works by spreading the jitter power over a broad
> spectrum, reducing it to irrelevant noise.
>

> True - but it's effect on the analogue output is as I described.

I was thinking about your second case. My Altmann Jisco does something
similar by "decimating" (or randomising) the jitter just prior to the
DAC (I think).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables