I scored 26/30 and 30/30 for parts 1 and 2. It strikes me that this is
basically a test of memory rather than musical acuity. The fact that
the "tunes" are so dreary doesn't help. Like Sean, I started off
listening out for much more subtle differences than were actually
present - this probably accounts for the lower score in part 1.

One other observation is that the first tune in each pair is "normal".
Whenever there are unexpected deviations from predictable melody and/or
rhythm, they are always in the second tune of the pair. This makes it
fairly easy to establish a strategy during the test - just listen out
out for something unusual in the second tune. To some extent this
reduces the need to memorise the first tune.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A