Phil Leigh;339895 Wrote:
> It is a memory test but it is testing a specific aural memory pathway.
> This is relevant when A/B-ing audio. I'd hypothesize that anyone
> scoring 15 could not reliably choose between the same tune played on
> wildly different gear.
> It would be interesting to test this hypothesis.

The test was poorly designed for that application.  A/B tests are bad -
you want ABX or ABXY.

The reason is that on that test, if you thought you heard a subtle
difference you couldn't be sure if it was your imagination or real.
You could in principle have ultrasensitive hearing that could
distinguish tiny differences in the two supposedly identical pairs, and
then you would *correctly* answer "different" for -every- pair, scoring
a 15/30 or so.  So the test cannot distinguish between superhuman
hearing ability and random guessing - not good.

A much better design when you want to determine whether two sounds are
audibly different is ABX - the listener can hear A and B as often as
she wants, and then decides whether X is A or X is B.  The question
really being asked is whether X is closer to A versus closer to B, not
whether A and B are absolutely identical (which could be problematic
for the reason above).

--
opaqueice