DeVerm;344537 Wrote:
> You receive SPDIF synchronously and it's easy to do that without
> bit-errors. The clock that you can retrieve from the datastream is only
> used for receiving that stream, and examined on it's -intended- rate,
> like 44.1 or 48 kHz. That's where this "clock" ends, it's discarded for
> further processing.

Yes I agree, this can be done, and will totally reject any jitter on
from the incoming data stream.

DeVerm;344537 Wrote:
> I'm just trying to understand why jitter is still a problem.

The cynic in me would reply that jitter is a problem because people
with experience in slow, analog, audio circuits are designing the
digital stuff!  Hire someone from ATT or Cisco who knows how to design
very high speed, low jitter data transmission systems!  Spending a
little bit more on some of the key components, to get the required
performance is a start, but proper board layout, and signal integrity
techniques are also required.

Cheers,   Dave

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight