Phil Leigh;348400 Wrote:
> Themis - Please post it in this thread so we can all listen too!

Agree. We all have the song ;-)

> @ Nick - As I recall quadraphonic (CD-4 anyway) the modulated carrier
> for the rear channels had to be done using a seperate circuit to the
> special cutter heads since 45Khz was too high to go via tape...so it
> had to be run in real time from the modulator circuits.
>
> Also, those CD-4 styli were prone to rapid wear... probably at the same
> rate that the disc groove! This was a good example of a clever idea that
> was slightly ahead of the available implementation technology of the
> day.

I don't know how they did (and still do!) it. I think it can be done
today with (modified?) video equipment. I do know that it's still done
because I saw some new releases for this week in CD4 on one of the
web-stores.

I also wrote earlier that vinyl sales were up 30% for 2008. I since
found that is was up 25% for 2007. I'm trying to find trends but
there's little info and most of that is misleading. Like some
audio-sector organization reporting that 100,000 turntables were sold
in a year... one manufacturer commented that they alone sold more, so
lots of figures are wrong. I do find that most vinyl production plants
are at full capacity and extending. This finally got the attention from
the big labels so who knows where this will go...

ciao!
Nick.

--
DeVerm