Themis;350743 Wrote:
> And, if there's no material over 20kHz, why do monitors go up to 30kHz ?
> And why amplifiers go well over 50kHz ?

And if no one can hear distortion levels of less than 0.1%, why does
gear go down to 0.001%?  In a word, marketing!
I think that what Pat is saying, is that many highly respected, great
sounding mic's are actually quite limited by audiophile standards, and
that the ability to reproduce ultra high frequency harmonics is not, by
itself, a good indicator of sound quality.
The extra headroom a higher sampling rate brings is more useful for
simplifying the anti aliasing filters, than it is for reproducing those
high frequencies.

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight