results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55246
Question: Direct to power amp?

- Yes
- No

Pneumonic;363198 Wrote:
> I would submit then that this is an issue that should be fixed?
>
> Plenty of companies have designed digital volume controlled preamps
> that don't suffer this problem. Maybe bring in some Wadia designers to
> get it right?

I still don't know if I'd gamble the entire audio link on whatever high
probability of a malfunction never happening in the digital domain. CMOS
settings will get wiped out here and there, bits shall flip there and
here, and voila, 0db happens and the exotic alloy cones in your $10k+
speakers are blown to a geostationary orbit... Even if it was a Wadia
product I would not do it, unless they provide (as the Transporter
does) an internal real very analog attenuation that can be set to
protect the rest of the chain. At least that way it can only get
unpleasantly loud, and not destructively over-driven...

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo Vista Ultimate 64
Sources: SB3 (4), SB Boom (2), Duet, Accuphase DP65v
Amplification: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Tuned and self-built Ceeroy 3 way
Headphones: Grado SR-1