Hi all,
Hope some of you guys out there can give me some pointers that will
improve the sound of my system.

I'm running a SB3 connected to a Denon AVR3300 amp (via good quality
QED connectors), KEF speakers.  I also have a Denon CD player which I
paid about £1000 for, and I am convinced that my SB3 playing FLACs,
ripped using EAC from the same source CD, out performs the CD player.

What I don't have is a dedicated DAC, which I am guessing would be the
obvious upgrade I can make (bang for buck) -- was thinking of the
Cambridge DacMagic?  I know my system has a big weakness in not having
a proper dedicated audio amp, but space means I can only have one big
amp, but AV/5.1 is important to me too (I always set the amp to Direct
mode for stereo music listening to be as pure as possible).

Have you seen the ads on eBay for "analogue upgrades" to the SB3 for
about £200?  Is this effectively just upgrading the onboard DAC?  If
so, then I presume my £200 is better spent on using a dedicated DAC
like the Cambridge one?

Now to connections.... if you think a DAC would make a big difference,
what is the best way to connect to the SB3, do you use the CoAx or
Optical? (have to say that my knowledge on digital connectors is
poor!).  And again I presume that the best way to connect the DAC to my
amp is via normal analogue Phono connectors (my QED ones)?  Or should I
connect the DAC to my amp using a digital connector (am sure that
analogue is better, but then why do DACs have digital outs?)
I guess there is an option somewhere in the SqueezeCenter software to
tell the SB3 that it is connected to an external DAC?

Final question (I know there are many!), am I right in saying that the
volume on the SB3 should always be near max, and to then use the volume
on my amp to control final output volume?  Sure I read somewhere that
the SB3 performs at it's best when it is near the max "40" mark...

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
Steve.

--
swarduk