bhaagensen;379273 Wrote:
> It requires an infinite summation. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittaker%E2%80%93Shannon_interpolation_formula.

It requires in a given time a minimum number of discrete, equally
spaced samples. The number of samples for perfect
interpolation/recovery is determined by the bandwidth of the signal to
be recovered. 44,100 samples per second are required to recover
0Hz-22,500Hz.

The Sigma (sum) across +/-infinity refers to recovering information for
an infinitely long period of time... because the formula in question is
trying to recover a continuous result (the audio signal in this case).

bhaagensen;379273 Wrote:

> Are you saying that sound is not continous? Please explain.

In the ear/brain interface the vibrations of air molecules are
bio-mechanically amplified and then transformed into a series of
discrete electrochemical PULSES (not a continuously changing voltage or
current!) - by the special inner hairs of the cochlea - which are
somehow interpreted by the brain as continuous sound... hmmm. That
sounds familiar!

Recently digital cochlea implants have been developed that are
essentially ADC's - and they work very, very well. Nerve endings (10
per ear-hair in this case) are not "analogue" in design - they respond
to/generate a binary state change (on/off) not a continuously changing
signal.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)