Hahaha !
Best post I've read in a while Gandt ! That's exactly what happens to
me too ^^
And I'm convinced that burn-in has a very limited effect (there might
be one or not, I don't know), but it sure takes some time to get used
to new hardware and enjoy it fully.

By the way, something that might help with stage i) is to switch back
to your old equipment once you got used to the new one. Two Months ago
I upgraded my speakers (Elipson Horus 2 -> Elipson Horus 5) and was a
little disappointed by the difference considering the Horus 5 are three
time as big and three time as expensive...
However, last week I sold the old ones, so the buyer came over to
listen to them and I was like "Wow, they sound so flat, I'm glad I
switched" (except I didn't say it aloud of course ^^)

--
BlueScreenJunky