Kuro;394945 Wrote:
> I'm about to do an experiment by using 8 1.2V rechargeable AA batts to
> power the Duet.  I want to see if it can bring the digital section
> close to the Transporter level...

And just what is that going to do? The digital section in the Duet is
powered off an internal switching power supply that is feed by the
external wall wart. Changing the external supply to battery DC versus
regulated DC is not going to clean anything up when there are internal
switching supplies!

The only solution even remotely worth thinking about is to disable and
bypass the internal switchers and feed each voltage need from an
external power supply with separate regulated feeds of the proper
voltages. I took the time to do this using HP regulated power supplies
for each required voltage. There was no overwhelming noticeable
difference. Definitely not worth the time, effort, or bother and did
not bring the Duet anywhere near the Transporter!

Additional to note beside the DAC chip being so much more superior in
the Transporter, the supporting circuits in the Transporter are
superior and the layout used gets so much more out of what is
available. No amount of modifying is going to get a Duet even close to
a Transporter (whole sections would have to be replaced and that's no
longer modifying).

Again, if one wants a Transporter, one needs to buy a Transporter. I do
like the way the Duet and Classic sound with a high end DAC, but by the
time you get to the level of sound that the TP has, one has already
spend much more money then what a TP costs (and still can't do 24/96
files native so again why bother?)! Just buy a Transporter.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5