NewBuyer;401063 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Sorry to be dense - do you mean there is no 3rd prong (safety ground)
> on the linear supply's power cord, but instead just hot and neutral?

A two prong only factory plug (not one that is cut or broken off by the
end user) or a proper isolation transformer setup inside the linear
power supply without any center taps to ground.

One of the best temporary tests (and I do mean temporary) to find what
might be causing ground loops, is to use one of those plugs from the
hardware store that takes a 3 prong plug to a two prong plug. These are
harder to find now because homes have been required for years to have 3
prong outlets. By placing the plug on the end of the cord (as long as
only one item of equipment is causing the problem) and plugging it
temporarily back in, one can quickly find the equipment causing the
problem.

There are commercial products with will isolate ones equipment from
ground loops as well as almost any lightening strike also, such as a
220 RGPC Sub-Station. This unit uses two hot phases to make 120 for
ones equipment. There is no ground so there can't be ground loops and
this eliminates any path for lightening to ground as well making it
high unlikely that lightening would seek that route. The added bonus is
additional available current headroom and the near elimination of line
sag as two phases are involved. In most households, both phases sagging
at the same time is rare.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5