NaimSqueezer;401754 Wrote:
> Hello fellows, greetings from crumbling germany,
>
> I just bought a SBC. A few remarks:
>
> First, the SBC power supply generates a voltage of 15,xx versus
> ground.
> I grounded it at chinch connectors, on recommendation of the Hifi
> dealer, because the
> amplifier itself by intended design wasn't grounded on connectors.
> So far, by doing so I got rid of the significant hum the SBC created
> before.

What do you mean by SBC? SBC is forum shorthand for the controller, and
SBR is the receiver. Together these are sold as "Duet". You are talking
about SBR, right? Or maybe SB3 - anyway, the following comments apply
to SB3 as well as SBR:

The measured voltage to ground... that is not what you think it is. The
Squeezebox power supply is isolated, and this by design allows the
device to "float" relative to earth ground. This is a GOOD THING in
terms of preventing ground loops. If you measure some voltage relative
to ground it is not meaningful - it's at a high impedance and the only
reason it's there is because there's nothing "anchoring" the device at
any particular reference. This happens (and _should_ happen) only via
the signal cable when you connect it to the amplifier.

If you find a reduction of hum when connecting SBR to earth ground,
this indicates a problem with the amplifier. If the amplifier is not
using the shield of its RCA connectors as a reference for the signal
ground, that is a serious defect!  Earth ground from the amp's
perspective is not relevant.

I am guessing from your handle that you have a Naim amp. I have heard
of all manner of grounding malfunctions with Naim but hardly any other
brand. I suspect there is a designer there with a very peculiar view of
how grounding is supposed to work...

--
seanadams