mmg_fan;403453 Wrote:
> Ok
> I know this has been beaten to death elsewhere
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=60665
> but my question is
> assuming you have
>
> 1) an identical recording mastered at both 16 44 and 24 96
> 2) a system that can resolve the high res version
> 3) a set of ears that can resolve the difference between the two;)
>
> What actually IS the audible difference?
> And if there IS an audible difference, is this a result of less jitter
> or?
>
> In some random tests, I have yet been able to detect any difference
> whatsoever, so either 1 of the 3 conditions above haven't been met,
> and-or, there actually is NO audible difference.
> I'm just trying to get feedback as to what I should be focusing my
> attention on if I'm trying to detect any audible 'improvement' with
> high res recordings...

I wouldn't worry. There is a well known AES test where no-one else
could tell the difference either... But you DO have to satisfy
conditions 1-3 for this to be a valid test...and condition 1 is hard,
which is why the AES test was devised - basically they ran an SACD
through a 16/44 ADC-DAC combo to ensure that the ONLY difference was
the replay resolution...

My more modest and amateurish testing using AudioDiffMaker imply the
same results...no audible difference...

YMMV

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom