Glenn2;408758 Wrote:
> Finally, I got a proper 7808 (1.5A version) and used that, removing the
> zener diode.  Both regulators are now properly bolted to the heatsink
> (and I applied fresh heat-transfer compound too).
>
> I also followed afblaster's lead from an earlier post and removed some
> of the ventilation slats in the casing (top and bottom) and there's
> proper convection in the case now.
>
> It's been running non-stop for 24 hours now and gets hot but not as
> much as originally.
>
> The main problem still, is that the secondary voltage of the
> transformer is just way too high.  It's 13V unloaded, dropping to 11.2V
> with the Squeezebox playing music over wi-fi.
>
> Using the 7808 and 7805, I'm sharing the power dissipation equally
> across both regulators and both sides of the heatsink.  They are both
> dropping 3V.
>
> Ideally, the unregulated voltage would be 8V... or even 7V and you
> could use one low drop-out regulator and it would barely get warm.
>
> As it stands, although my PSU appears to be fixed, I'm still dumping
> more power as heat than the Squeezebox is consuming!
>
> Glenn

The biggest issue I see with this POS PS is the lack of heatsink size
and improperly selected transformer. It was like somebody was given a
big lot of transformers for free and decided what can we cobble
together to make money!

For an SB3, the PS of choice so far from testing is the OEM power
supply. There are other good power supplies out there, don't get me
wrong and assume I am putting them all down as I am not. After testing
some of the best designed linear PS for the SB3, the resulting data
showed no difference as did the listening tests. The test software
shows that the signals are basically identical. So one can buy a $15
Slim Devices PS or pay $259 for a CIA VDC*SB linear PS getting the same
results. Granted the Channel Islands PS looks great but I recommend from
the test results that you save your money to spend on a good DAC or
doing a true upgrade to a Transporter.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook