Yes it's a POS PSU without a doubt, and I would suggest nobody ever buys
one!  The manufacturer should be deeply ashamed, and given the reported
failure rate they probably are.

However, I already had it, and it cost me pennies to fix it so I did.

It's hugely inefficient of course, and if I can't detect any
improvement over the original PSU I will be more than happy to toss it
to the back of a cupboard and forget about it.

But I will give it a listen first.

It actually makes much more sense as Receiver PSU.
Open it up, remove both 7805s and replace ONE with a 7808.  Job done.
The SBR will be perfectly happy with 8V (from what I've read on other
threads).

Addendum to previous post of mine.  The TX voltages I was talking about
are rectified and smoothed.  I.e., what's going into the reg.  Not the
secondary AC.  Hopefully obvious but anyway. So under full load,
11.2V-->8V-->5v.

Glenn

--
Glenn2