cliveb;414318 Wrote:
> The 2 "remasters" boxes in fact pre-date the "silver sticker" CDs. Those
> "silver sticker" CDs are the same as the 10CD "complete studio
> recordings" box set. Both are from the Jimmy Page/George Marino
> sessions in 1990 (1991?).
>
> There is no doubt that the two releases are digitally different (I've
> compared them in an audio editor), however their peak and replaygain
> levels are pretty much the same. I always felt that the "remasters"
> boxes had a more refined, less aggressive sound, and thought that
> perhaps some very minor EQ tweaking had been done. Perhaps the final
> sequencing involved passing them through some kind of process that
> altered the digital samples slightly? Another significant difference is
> that the channels are reversed on some tracks between the two releases.
> (Which is "correct"? - I no longer have my vinyl for comparison, so I
> couldn't say).
>
> So, for a long time I preferred the sound of the "remasters" sets,
> which was a shame because I was long familiar with the original album
> sequencing. But then I did that audiophile-phobic thing: I ABX'd them.
> And you know what? After correcting the reversed channels, I scored 50%
> on an ABX test. They may have slightly different audio samples, but in
> practice they sound exactly the same.

Interesting. Ages ago, I took the tracks from the Remasters sets and
built a set of "normal" albums from them :) to get the proper track
sequencing back.

I don't have the silver-sticker disks anymore (I only had IV and PG and
Presence in that format - I could have sworn I bought them before
Remasters - but I could be wrong).

I guess you are saying that the Remasters and Silver-sticker versions
are more or less the same? - I could go along with that. They both
sound a lot better than the first-gen CD's (esp IV and PG) to me. My
copy of IV went to the charity shop! (PG went to a friend).

Mothership is fun...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom