For the most part, I agree with Mr Hardesty's approach. I use a passive
high pass filter, but a 4th order, not first. 6db per octave is just too
shallow and minimises the benefits pointed out about the lowering of
mains speaker and mains amp distortion. The penalty, of course, is the
group delay and phase anomalies pointed out by Mr  Hardesty, but it is
my experience, and I've read about it as well(sorry I don't have a
source to quote), that at frequencies below 100hz the ear is just not as
sensitive to these errors as it is in the critical mid-range. Its a
compromise, as is almost any aspect of system building is. As for
subwoofers, sealed is what I use and have never heard a ported design
that didn't produce the artifacts that Hardesty points out. There are
interesting reports though of servo controlled open baffle and Earl
Geddes' multiple box(more than 3) approaches that are reported to be
excellent, but I haven't heard them myself.

--
konut