Since I design and sell subs I'm a little biased.

Good LF performance is all about rooms.  Once you get under about 200Hz
the room really starts to dictate what is going on.   Matching subs to
main speakers has also traditionally been done horribly.   Since the
room is having it's way at these frequencies manufactures have been able
to punt on designing a proper crossover between the main speaker and the
sub.

A tool like the SMS-1 (Velodyne) is a great investment.   If your
smart, you can also use it's built-in room measurement tools to optimize
the placement of your main speakers.   You don't get to keep it in the
loop but just having the measurement gives you more information about
where to best place main speakers.    In an ideal world, we would have
room measurement and correction for every device and then a system
measurement (because once you combine them in the room it changes the
in-room response).  Typically a one or two notch filters is all that is
needed per LF device.    Getting the proper measurements and knowing
what to correct and how much is the key.

Anyhow... just thought I'd chime in.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

--