I agree that many audiophiles dismiss subwoofers without actually trying
them for several reasons:

1.  Buyer's remorse regarding the use of a high pass filter that
actually cuts signal from speakers they've made a significant financial
and intellectual investment in.

2.  Many subwoofer installations (particularly in theater setups) have
the gain and crossover set way too high.

3.  Room issues rarely get the attention they deserve, and become even
more obvious with integration of a sub into a system.

4.  Sometimes the extreme LF in a recording is absent, of poor quality
and/or simply distracting - and perhaps best ignored.

I have learned the following in using several different subs in my
modest system 2 channel system over the years:

1.  Smaller sealed boxes with parametric EQ are much easier to
integrate into a system than larger ported boxes - as they are easier to
place in best location.

2.  The benefits of the high-pass filter on midrange clarity and
dynamics are very real, and well worth some of the artifacts the
crossover might impose.

3.  DRC tools (like Inguz) can be particularly beneficial to subwoofer
integration, as it can tame some of the nasty nodes and resonances that
plague our rooms and are excited by LF energy.

4.  Keep the crossover point set comfortably below the +/- 2db rolloff
point for the monitors.  A gap in response is preferable to an overlap.

5.  Phase adjustments rarely seem to have a significant impact - you
can measure them with a meter, but their effect is subtle at best.

--
esbrewer

Server:  2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac running MacOS 10.5.7 and SC 7.3
Plugins:  Inguz DRC, Sirius Radio, Album Review, SqueezeScrobbler
Sources: SB3 (2), SB Boom, NAD C542, NAD T515
Amplification: NAD C720BEE
Loudspeakers:  Paradigm Studio 20 (v.1), SVS SB-12 Plus
Headphones:  Grado SR60, Etymotic ER4P

http://www.last.fm/user/esbrewer