As thrilling as the discussion on Behringer filters has become... back
on topic of good quality subs - I have been using a Velodyne SPLr ultra
800 for  few months now.  Initially I was using it with an old pair of
BW 705s and an even older MF8000 pre/power combo, with FLACS and 320
MPs/4s streamed from a Tranquil server through a SB3.  Sounded every bit
as good as the MF X ray CD player it displaced.  The Velodyne sub, with
it's built-in EQ, integrated perfectly.  Simply a matter of finding the
best (to one's own ears!!!) roll off point for the crossover (I went for
10hz above B&Ws bottom end cribbed from the spec sheets.  Then adjust
the phase with Velo remote and enjoy.  Makes a massive difference to the
music.  By placing sub to right of the right hand speaker, it is really
hard to disassociate the sub from the 705s, the music blends quite
seemlessly across the sub/sats.

I have since relegated the multi box pre/power and CD player to the
attic in favour of a pair of Audioengine A5s hooked up to the Velodyne
and the SB3 via ethernet  (needed to tidy up the lounge, said Mrs C).
Whlst the A5s aren't the last word at the price point they sound really
really nice, and also integrate perfectly with the sub.  Just run EQ
again and tweek the roll off on the X-over again, and off you go.  I
stuck in a duet for good measure and am waiting to audition/justify a
pair of AVI 9.1s actives.

My point being is that after fiddling with hi fi for a few years - and
hankering after all the esoteric stuff, I now find myself with a very
simple set up utilising a good quality sub that has all the low end one
could need and none of the tedious setting up that one might expect.

The music sounds great.  I would have gone for the Velodyne spl 1000r
Ultra had funds permitted, but have saved that for 'better' active
speakers.  The A5s will find a home in the bedroom - I already have A2s
and another SB3 in the kitchen.

Why make it complicated?

--
turbot fiend