I didn't have the money for a Transporter.  I have what I think of as a
good system (Mission 775's, which at that time were the biggest speaker
Mission made, a Marantz 6000SE or something amp with no tone controls
and a Marantz 6010? KI cd player), and I was worried that the SB3 would
be a step down from my old cd player.

Having listened for a while, there is a difference between the two, and
maybe the cd player sounds slightly better, but it is so close that I
will stick with the SB3 as my main source.  One advantage of the SB3 is
that unlike the cd player, it makes absolutely no mechanical noise,
which makes a difference at low volume.

I haven't compared the SB3 to a duet, but judging by the specs, the SB3
should sound noticeably better through a reasonably good system.

--
ianl