Hi all,

I've been referring to myself as a "budding audiophile" for a couple
years now, and I think the time has come to upgrade to "audiophile in
early bloom" (approaching 30 ... toys are getting more expensive).  I
have some money to spend ($200-300) and am trying to choose between the
Audioengine A2 and A5 speakers.  (I could be convinced to shell out more
than 300 if worth it.)

I will be using them in connection to my computer (RCA outs on my 5
year old Audiophile 2496 sound card - I assume the DAC is satisfactory
enough on this card).  They will be located in my office - an
approximately 15' x 15' room in my basement - three walls are drywall on
studs on concrete with dirt behind, and the fourth wall is drywall on
studs with a french door to the hall.  Ceiling is drywall with a kids
playroom above (only a factor when the kids are playing :) ).  Only
potential sources of noise is my computer (contained in a compartment of
my computer desk which I may want to insulate depending on impact to PCs
ability to cool).  There are no air supply / return ducts, which is nice
for noise but a problem if I want to keep the door shut for long periods
of time (the doors are pretty tight to the carpet, and a man needs to
breath!).

Besides the computer, I will also be using the speakers with an old
record player I have via its headphone out (either connected through the
2496 or directly to the speakers).  I'll also want to hook up a CD
player of some kind directly to the speakers (old boombox or discman) to
listen to music in periods when the PC is unavailable.  But the main use
will be with my PC.

It's a given that I'll at least buy the A2s.  I'm trying to decide if
it's worth popping for the A5s.

If I do go with the A5s, is it worth upgrading to the bamboo for an
extra $100?  I like the look but don't know about what additional
performance I may get with it.

Thanks in advance, I love being able to tap this vast wealth of
knowledge.

--
mattbrown521