Themis;467211 Wrote:
> I don't know how it happens generally, you may be right.

Huh? He is absolutely right. A "passive preamp" is just a
potentiometer. A variable resistor. A voltage divider. It has a
low-impedance input and a higher-impedance output, period. Google
"voltage divider impedance" or read the first chapter of The Art of
Electronics.

> Nevertheless, this one specs input <20kW and output 20kW. Don't know
> whether it enters your "trouble" category.

That's ohms, not watts. And the specs make no sense - if he wanted to
do his customers a favor he would just come out and SAY what the pot's
value is. I'm guessing 20K but I'm not sure if he actually groks the
implication of that from the way he's written his specs. The correct
answer, of course, is that it depends where you set the knob!

Whether a higher Z output (Z means impedance) is a significant problem
depends on what you're feeding. If it's going a short distance straight
into an op-amp buffer then you're probably fine. But if it's got some
capacitance or noise nearby, then you may have a problem.

--
seanadams