Mr_Sukebe wrote:
> pfarrell;473507 Wrote:
>> ...And there is no serious evidence that there is any signal that would
>> benefit from the 96 kHz bandwidth of the 24/192 size over the 48kHz
>> bandwidth that 24/96 provides...
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the frequency bandwidth defined by
> the number of bits (in this case 24), with the 192khz defining the
> sample rate?

sample size is 24 bits in this discussion. sample rate is 192kHz. Per
Nyquist, with a 192kHz sample rate, the maximum sampled frequency is
192/2 or 96kHz

The frequency bandwidth then has a theoretical value of 0 Hz to 96kHz.

One might talk about the signal stream bandwidth, which contains 24 bits
times 192k samples of 24 bits each, times two for stereo or six for 5.1
But very few discussions care about this.

A stream of stereo 24/192 music would take about ten megabits per second
of bandwidth.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/