Phil Leigh wrote:
> Most analogue sources are "balanced" ... mics, cartridges, guitar
> pickups etc - certainly anything with a coil of wire in it...

Isn't every electrical signal "balanced" in the respect that they
generate or modulate a voltage based on the received signal. One
electron goes out, one comes in.

The only difference that I see is that XLR and TRS have two wires for
signal and one for a separate ground. RCA just uses the ground wire for
both DC ground and one leg of the signal.

Is there any way to get a signal without a coil of wire in it? I guess
condensor mics have an active circuit, but still, there are electrons
floating to and fro.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/