dave77;487514 Wrote:
> I think there's always going to be a market for something physical to
> own, eg a CD, not digital. Especially for gifts, I can't imagine
> emailing somebody an album for a birthday present.
>
> Linn still make DVD players though, I assume they are not phasing those
> out

I agree.  It was really wierd to pay for a download at first.  Now I
don't think twice about it.  There will always be people that prefer
physical media.  A good comparison are product manuals.  Remember when
you would get sizable manuals with software proudcts?  Or your computer?
Now you get a quick start guide and all of the gory details are to be
had in an electronic copy.  Things are evolvin'.

If you go to the store now, I'm not sure you will find a CD player on
the wall.  As you point out, DVD players are now used for CD players.

And yeah, a CD revival - that's pretty funny!  Break out those green
pens and stabilizer rings!

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 3 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 30,015 songs, 2,448 albums, 451 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior
Kraftwerk's "The Catalog", Miles Davis' Amazon exclusive ~70 CD box
set, and U2's "The Unforgettable Fire" box are next in line to burden my
credit card :-).  Too many good releases in a short period of time.