To Marco

I'll describe the whole chain of upgrades.

1) SqueezeBox (the one that looks like the bedside clock) -> analogue
output directly into Parasound A21 power amp + a pair of NHT 2.5i.
Can't recall what version of server was running.

The sound - racey, dynamic, untidy. Best suited for the likes of AC/DC.

2) SqueezeBox -> Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-Box + Power Station ->
Parasound A21 power amp + a pair of NHT 2.5i. Can't recall what version
of server was running.

The sound - racey, dynamic. A definite improvement, more accurate
sound, but the general character of sound is the same as in previous
setup. Reminds of analogue gear.

3) Duet -> Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-Box + Power Station -> Parasound
A21 power amp + a pair of NHT 2.5i. Can't recall what version of server
was running because I diddn't realise that was important.

The sound - totally different from previous setup (to my surprise,
because I bought it because of the controller). It's like you've made
$10K upgrade. I've heard a very similar sound from a system costing in
excess of $25K (VTL tube monoblocks + Vandersteen 3ce + Esoteric CD +
DAC) only mine had a insignificant trade-offs in mid and overwhelming
advantage in bass.

This is funny because I thought the digital signal from SB/receiver
should be the same. Obviously I was wrong. Some processing is being done
internally  in the SB/receiver.

Then I noticed this issue with flac vs wav but brushed it off as
inevitable trade-off. But then I've read this thread and started
experimenting with different version of server. The results amaze me to
say the least.

--
deadushka