Thavmasio;535291 Wrote:
> This sounds like another potential pitfall awaiting me – any chance of
> you elaborating or pointing me towards a source of info, please?

If the amp has a "phono" input besides "aux" "cd" "tuner" thats good,
but only if you have an LP player (that old kind of big black CD with
groves on it)

The Phono input is only suitable for the Pickup on a  LP player, it has
to much gain maybe weird input impedance (47pF loading or MC input at
100ohm).
But most problematic it has an Eq curve (riaa), LP's are not cut with
equal levels at all frequencies the track would be 0,5" wide if you got
bass in the music for example and treble would drown in surface noise.

So LP's or cut with a treble boost and the bass is lowered. The Phono
input reverses this boosting bass an dcreases treble  so that you get a
somewhat linear presentation. Google for riaa curve for details.
This is not small adjustments 20dB or something ?

The high gain is there because a pickup is a tiny generator that
outputs only milli or microvolts . A CD or a Squeezebox gets you ca
2-4Volts rms.
This means masive overloadof the input (it will sound extremely
distorted).

Or shorter, anything but a pickup on the phono input would sound like
crap

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this