garym;533659 Wrote:
> Are you sure there are either SOUNDCHECK values (itunes) or replaygain
> values in the track tags?  I assume so if you can tell a difference
> with and without volume gain settings. All these do is make the music
> sound closer to the same volume (which in most cases is REDUCING
> volume). Keep in mind that to get the same loudness, you will likely
> need to play your amp louder than without the gain settings (given that
> most adjustments to volume are DOWNWARD). But the point of the volume
> settings is to make different tracks sound approximately the same
> volume. Once so adjusted, you then control how loud you want your music
> by turning it up a notch (the preamp/amp)
>

> Someone else will need to chime in on apple lossless, as I don't use
> this. Not sure whether you can add replaygain tags to apple lossess. I
> assume so as one can add tags to AAC/mp4 files.

On MP3s at least itunes' soundcheck writes different tag (something
like "itunnorm") for track gain (no album gain AFAIK).  Don't like
soundcheck (pretty slow) on itunes' so I found an action on mp3tag to
convert normal replaygain tags (done by foobar) to soundcheck values
which I use for ipod music.

Not sure what Apple formats do.

--
lrossouw