acanning;541277 Wrote:
> I run my SB Touch into a Meridian 24bit DAC and then into a 502 preamp.
>
> I have recently obtained a Meridian 518 to play with which is proving
> interesting although I’m struggling to hear any real difference. As I’m
> sure many of you know the 518 can be used as a digital preamp so I could
> replace the 502 with the 518 but I have been put off because of the
> ‘loss of bits’ thing when reducing the volume.
1. If you're contemplating using digital volume control then it only
makes sense if you also plan to remove the 502 preamp from the circuit.
I would certainly encourage you to try that out.

2. Assuming the SB Touch's digital volume control works the same way as
it does on the SB3/Trasnporter/etc, then it's as good as it gets. If
your only reason to use the 518 is as a digital volume control, there's
no point.

3. Perhaps you are also thinking of using the 518 to "de-jitter" the
signal going to your Meridian DAC. In that case, it may (or may not)
improve on a direct connection from SB Touch to DAC. But my guess would
be that anything it does to the jitter will be beneath the threshold of
audibility.

4. It would be worth trying the SB Touch's analogue output direct to
your power amp. You never know, it might actually sound better than the
Meridian DAC.

5. Regardless of how you configure the system, if you're using digital
volume control, be sure to insert appropriate passive attenuation if
required. (See other posts in this and other threads for guidance).

And finally: it could well be that any differences between all these
configurations are so tiny as to be inaudible. My guess is that
removing the 502 preamp from the signal path will give you the biggest
gain.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A